Saturday 18 June 2011

Pink Mars

Sock knitting has always interested me, I had seem to have caught the bug last year, when I knit the stunning Lindsay pattern by Cookie A. But after that sweaters preoccupied me and socks seemed to take a backseat, but while I wait for all my sweater yarn to arrive, I find myself wanting to knit a toe up pair of vanilla socks!


Handyed Pink Mars 5

It may not sound as exciting, but I have never tried toe up sock knitting before, so for me it means learning a new technique/cast on. I chose a the Nikki Burns Humble Sock pattern, it's such a great, free!, clear and helpful sock pattern. And then read instructions for the Turkish cast on, which was much easier than I expected, this tutorial was great, and provided step by step instructions that were easy to follow.



Handyed Pink Mars 2

The yarn for this sock, is something that I handyed, quite late at night, so I wasn't sure what I would wake up and have the yarn looking like! It turned out alright, It's an interesting colour mix, and the first thing that came to my mind when I tried to find a word to describe it was 'Mars'. So here are my Pink Mars socks!



DSC_0063



I also decided to knit two at a time, which is something that I always thought was a good idea, but never actually tried. Hopefully this will prevent second sock syndrome, and help me achieve more identical looking socks.
Pink Mars WIP 3
(note the very very curly knitting needle :S)

So I think I'm a converted, toe up sock knitter!

1 comment:

  1. oooh - gorgeous photos! gorgeous socks! i soooo want to learn two at a time toe up but it seems so scary!

    ReplyDelete